We are firm believers in having a solid format in which to go about setting goals and process is very key! What we have also come to firmly believe is that your mind-set, your belief in self and your ability are critical elements needed to achieve your goals. You need to be crystal clear on what you want, what you value and that you truly have the skills, the strengths and the resources to make your goals happen.
How about we take a simple task that we can all relate to, like going grocery shopping. Have you ever gone to the grocery store without a grocery list? How did that work for you? If you are a task oriented person, you probably picked up a few necessities, but you likely forgot some of the items you, your spouse or your partner would like or needed, causing you to go out again, spending more time and money. You may wonder aimlessly through the store buying everything you see on sale, as you start to get hungry, so you pick up a lot of extra items, only to get home and forget the one thing at the top of your list –like MILK!! How could you forget the milk?? Well, if you had your list with you, chances are you would have gone in and picked up the items you need and you would have shopped in half the time.
Similarly, going through life or being in business without having clear, specific goals and a plan, is like throwing yourself to the wind and hoping you blow in the right direction! You may find yourself saying, “I need to lose about 20lbs, but I just don’t have time to exercise.” Or, if you’re in business, “I really need to start making more money, or I’m going to be in some trouble and I’ll have to go get a job –but how? I don’t even know where to start!” These are all things we hear from people all the time. Something many people don’t want to hear though, is that there is a specific process, an important link to, going from thinking about doing something or wanting to do something… to actually making it happen!!
We know that there is a psychological connection to starting projects, but never finishing them, getting a gym membership, maybe going for a few weeks, then you stop going. Perhaps you are in business and you don’t go after that big account.
Would you like to know what this is?
It’s not that you get busy and don’t have time. It’s not that it isn’t important to you or that you don’t want to. The biggest reason that you don’t finish that project, that you stop going to the gym or that you don’t go after that big account is because… you haven’t written all of these things down. You may be saying, well I can’t write down everything I want to do, that’s ridiculous.
Is it so ridiculous?
We are here to challenge that thought or mindset, and provide you with some guidance to help you accomplish more than you ever have before. Okay, so here they are… 5 Reasons to Write Down Your Goals are:
- You will be able to get clearer and specific about what you want. The very act of writing down your goals will help crystallize the desire. You will begin to see you yourself having what you want and you will be so in touch with what it looks like, that you will be able to describe it in great detail to others.
- You will be able to identify your strengths. Once you write down your goals, you will understand what you bring to the table and what is missing. Having written down your goals and being really clear and specific on what you want, you will then be able to determine what you can do and exactly what additional support you will need. For example, you want to take your business to the next level, so you might decide to hire a Business Coach in order to get you further, faster! We often suggest to our clients to, wherever possible, focus on doing the tasks that you’re good at and hire someone to do the tasks that you’re not good at or that require a great deal of time, energy and learning, (i.e.: marketing, bookkeeping, etc), so that you can spend your precious time and energy, on growing your business instead.
- Writing your goals down makes them real. When you see what you want actually written down, it becomes real. Yes, it’s true. My business partner and I meet each month, to go over what we want to accomplish towards our long-term goals, and how much revenue we need to bring in for the coming month or quarter to achieve our short-term goals as well. Let’s just say, writing down your goals truly make them feel more real… the kind of real that can take your breath away, if they weren’t so darned exciting, exhilarating and exactly what we want and what we can manifest!
- You will come up with more than one reason to accomplish your goal. This is the real clincher. When you write down your goals, it’s not selfish. It’s about moving forward, stepping outside your comfort zone, modelling the behaviour of a driven, goal-oriented individual to everyone around you. Think of it this way… when you accomplish your goals, this will benefit your financial situation, your business growth, your family, your confidence and how you feel overall -incredible right!
- You will want to finish what you started. How many of us start on a journey and for whatever reason we don’t get to our destination. We get distracted, we find other things to do, things come up that are either more important or we make it seem that way. When you write down your goals, it’s important to attach a value or benefit to completing them. Keep your written goals in a place that is visible to you on a regular basis which will help you stay in touch with them and be better able to accomplish them. The even better part, is that once you are fully engaged with accomplishing your goals, you will automatically start to create a plan as to how you will accomplish your goals. That is a fact.
Interestingly though, often we find that people are afraid to write down their goals. It’s happened in our workshops, it’s happened with clients where they are afraid to write down the thing they want most. It’s very natural to be afraid to write them down, because what we have learned is that there are two things we all fear most –fear of failure and/or fear of success. What is truly interesting is that psychologically, once you write something down, your subconscious mind actually begins to go to work on how to make this happen and why it would be a good thing! It’s true. Your body, mind and spirit naturally want to work together, it’s all of the energy that we allow in (often negative energy or thoughts from others) that clash with our body, mind and spirit, start to dampen our trust-in-self and manipulate our belief systems, causing us to shy away from our dreams.
How can you deal with this? Again, the act of writing down your goals, identifying your strengths and what your values are, and why it would be beneficial to achieve the goal(s), can help you overcome the negative energy and thoughts. You can replace those negative thoughts instead with positive affirmations, positive self-talk and take a step everyday towards your goal.
Final thoughts… we encourage you to start. Write down what you want most, follow the above 5 steps. You have the power within you to accomplish everything you want. The choice is yours now. Are you ready to make this year, your best year yet?
Go for it, act on your dreams… I dare you!
Heather Wilson, ATC
Co-Founder | Director of Business Development
Cheetah Fusion Creative Agency